Sunday 25 January 2009

Promise of Spring

While Monday. 19th. January 2009 was hyped as ‘the most depressing day of the year’, and even celebrated as such in some places, at least that is over.

There are some beautiful pink tulips in a vase on our hearth. As I took the trimmings from arranging those, to the outside bin this morning, I saw that one clump of snowdrops is showing white flower heads.

Perhaps I’ll manage to see the snowdrops at Rode Hall again this year?

Two World-Travelling friends said they had had a breath of fresh air after weeks of the ‘flu bug. They had each had a day out at the seaside.

So, last week I also had a day by the sea. Passers-by thought Mike and I were mad. We sat on the wooden seats along the sea-wall between Colwyn Bay & Llandudno. Here we enjoyed our delayed Christmas Dinner! That was Mike’s choice of ‘Butties on the Beach’.

We ate our own sandwiches, but they were accompanied by mugs of hot coffee & freshly made chips bought from the promenade kiosk – a real feast.

Later we drove through Llandudno, on our way to have Mike’s belated Birthday afternoon tea at a POSH hotel in Deganwy.

We had to wait for our scones, as tea only began at 3 pm. Meanwhile, would we please help eat up the delicate tartlets from lunchtime so they didn’t go to waste?!

They may well have gone to my waist instead.

Although the weather was bitterly cold, at least it was dry, until we arrived back on our house drive.

By Saturday evening I was too tired to go to the Burns Night Celebration at the Nag’s Head in Wheelock, as I’d intended. Perhaps they’ll still have Tatties & Neeps at lunchtime today.

Three of us had been shopping for 4 hours on Saturday. We’d been doing our bit for Charities in our own inimitable fashion. Even though my New Year tidy-up is in progress, I can’t fill 5 different doorstep collection bags in the same week.

At the Hospice Shop I found a very special item , which I bought.

Ages ago, in Alsager, a friendly cat knocked my china-handled cheese knife off the kitchen worktop. I’ve never been able to replace that knife, until yesterday.

Of course, in my usual way, I told the volunteers behind the counter about the knife’s story. We started chatting. They asked why we were in Northwich when there is a St. Luke’s shop in Sandbach.

I explained that I needed a particular kind of white china for a present. Even when I was a child, we had to travel to Crewe, Hanley or Manchester for some things, although usually Sandbach could provide most items. Strangely enough, the ladies ahead of us in the department store were also chatting to the shop assistant. I didn’t hear what they had intended to buy, but they decided it would be better to buy it in Sandbach.

Today is 25th. January 2009. Four birthdays that I know of.:

Robert (Rabbie) Burns was born 250 years ago. His birth date is celebrated wherever Scots are in the world.

My Godmother , Margaret Hill was born 100 years ago. Auntie Margaret was perhaps only known in Sandbach, but had opportunities to travel during her lifetime.

Friend Sue enjoys her days out, as well as her holidays in exotic places.

Young Liam may well see the world changing back to the local life of previous times. It is just as likely that he’ll be able to journey to the stars in his lifetime.

Hopefully we’ll all see the promise of spring, rather than the dark days of winter, as we marvel once again at the appearance of snowdrops & spring flowers.

Best Wishes,
Mary Garratt (Mrs)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home